CONFIT DE CANARD – DELICIOUS DUCK DISH
Easy steps on how to prepare a roasted duck in your kitchen:
- Step one remove all of the skin from the duck.
- Cut up the duck into 8 pieces and reserve.
- Put the skin in a pot on a very low flame to render the fat out of the skin.
- You might want to buy some extra duck fat available in gourmet stores.
- Next rub a salt and spice cure over the raw duck i.e salt, pepper, thyme, oregano, mustard seeds.
- Cover the duck pieces in plastic and let them sit in the refrigerator overnight.
- When the fat is rendered out of the skin. Strain the liquid and let cool.
- Save the skin to make duck crackling after you are done.
- The next morning wash off the duck pieces and dry them thoroughly.
- Put the pieces in a covered pot and submerge them with the duck fat.
- Cook for 4 hours IN SLOW oven.
- Take the duck pieces out and reserve the fat for crackling not part of confit.
- Serve the duck pieces with red cabbage and apple potato purée or bean cassoulet for cold days.